Tuesday 27 March 2012

Evaluation - Part 2 - representation


I aim to represent the young and upcoming female pop artists in the music industry. I think my magazine represents the female pop industry more than the male industry as I haven’t really included anything to represent the males. I have mentioned male pop groups within my magazine but these are bands that are popular with females and young teenage girls. My magazine represents girly girls and the ‘clean faced’ pop starts that are popular with mid-teens. I think I have done this by using a girl who is the same age as my target audience, and has the 'girl next door' clean faced look. The magazine aims to represent the girls who follow the latest trends, have sleepovers, and hangout with their ‘besties’. Pop as a genre is very vast, there are different types of pop music from Jessie J type pop which has an edge of R’N’B and rap mixed in, to Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus who produce soft fluffy pop. This is the type of pop that my magazine represents. I have tried to emphasis the 'cheesy pop' genre within the words used in my double page spread by using words the over exaggerate everything, such as extraordinary. I have also tried to make my magazine relateable to to teenagers who come from the urban scene and think that they can't achieve something. I have done this by taking my picture in an urban setting, against a graffiti covered wall, this is something that most teenagers have seen in an urban environment so it is easy for them to relate to. I have used the same background on my double page spread also. I have also tried to represent teenage girls who live in more rural areas by including a picture on the contens that is taken in a snow covered field, this is less relatable to the city girls then the country girls. I have also tried to include both on the front cover in the small teaser underneath the main feature which says "Small town girl goes global..." this could almost be seen as bring the two different type of teenager girls together.

  Refresh doesn’t represent the adult population as much as teens this is because of the content and they words used for example I have used the word ‘teens’ when talking about my cover star, and have included things that interest me and what I would like to find out as a teen, such as what it’s like to be a pop star, and how celebrities deal with the negative press. The fact that everything in the magazine is aimed a teens means that the magazine doesn’t represent a large group of people these include OAP’S, mothers, middle aged people, young children and even teen age boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment