Tuesday 27 March 2012

Evaluation - Part 6 - technologies

I have learnt a lot about Photoshop when producing my magazine. Before this project I had never used Photoshop before and had no idea how to use it. I now know what different tools do and how they work to improve pictures, text, and the overall appearance of the final product.


I learnt how to use the patch tool. This tool allows you to select an area, in this case an area of skin that has either a spot or mark on, you can then replace the area of skin with another area by dragging the area highlighted to the clear bit of skin. The marked area is then replaced with the clear area. I used this tool to remove some of the darkness below the models eyes.



I learnt how to use the burn tool. This tool allows you to make certain parts of the picture darker, for example I made around my artists eyes darker so they stand out more. In order to get the effect of the burn tool you need to adjust the settings available at the top of the screen to make slight adjustments to the picture, until you get the effect you want. You can use the exposure setting to adjust the amount of burning that occurs. The range will specify the range of tones that will be affected.



This tool is known as the dodge tool. I learnt that this tool is the opposite to the burn tool, this tool allows you to lighten parts of the picture. You can change the adjustments at the top in order to achieve the effect you want, and again you can change the exposure settings to achieve this. I used this tool on her eyes and on parts of her hair. The effect isn't very noticeable on her hair, this is because I made subtle changes.





I learnt about the levels tool. The levels tool allows you to make the picture lighter or darker, this gives the picture some 'punch', and makes the colours in the picture more prominent. In order to get to the levels tool you need to go to levels, then new adjustment layer, and then to levels. Once you have clicked on this the below picture can be seen. This shows the adjustments of the colours which are being changed in the picture.



I also learnt on Photoshop about layers. All the different parts of the fished product are on things called layers, because each thing on the product is on a different layer you can alter each thing individually for example make things smaller or bigger or change the colour of one bit of text without altering all the text on the page. I learnt the advantage of layers, because on my contents page when I coloured in the middle of each letter I didn't realise that I had done two words on the same layer. So when I went to move the small 'Refresh' in the corner, the colour in the centre of the letters of 'Inside this week' moved as well. This was because I had put them both on the same layer. My mistake made me realise that it is important to make sure things are all on different layers.

I also learnt the importance of using a good camera, by doing this it makes the picture better quality and less out of focus. For example, when I took my first set of pictures I used my own camera with 8.2 mega pixels and with this camera the quality of the pictures wasn't very good, as you can see below. The picture also came out very dark even though I was using a flash, this is because I was taking the picture inside and on my second set which are a lot brighter they have been taken outside with a 15 mega pixel camera. This created a much better quality of the overall pictures. Before producing this magazine I wouldn't of known that taking the picture outside would of made any difference, even if your using the flash inside it still doesn't produce the same quality. I also learnt that the quality of the camera is important in producing a photo that isn't going to be out of focus. As you can also see the picture taken with a better quality camera and taken outside also doesn't have a black shadow surrounding it which gives it a much fresher look then the first set of photos I took.











Not only have I learnt about the different techniques used on photoshop and how it was used. I also learnt about blogger. For every bit of work contributed to our coursework we have been told to upload it to blogger. In doing so it allows everyone to see each others work, this was a positive as you could share ideas with friends and also see how they have improved their work. It also allows you to complete work at home on a computer without leaving bits at collage. This was helpful in complete deadlines, and also it meant that you didn't have to remember to bring anything as you could access it all on a computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment